Sunday, September 15, 2013

walnut season

'This is a plant of the Sun; let the fruit of it be gathered accordingly, which you shall find to be most of virtue whilst they are green, before they have shells.' Nicholas Culpeper


It is walnut season and the crop has been wonderful. I've used the first of the fresh windfall from this year's harvest in my teaching this week. Although the husks can continue to give colour for a long time there is such a richness in the shades now.


I love the way that walnut can subdue the brightness of other dyed cloth. Using it is a step into a new part of the year for me. Having gathered and refreshed my stores of colour on cloth and thread I'm getting ready to settle into a phase of more stitching, more making.

11 comments:

  1. Me too! I love overdyeing in black walnut. Incidentally, our green blobs are a bit larger than yours. But the color is fabulous. swoon. p.s. missed your presence in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed your Scottish adventure on instagram etc. and felt more than a bit jealous I must confess. Hope you had an amazing time x

      Delete
  2. Claire, thank you sooo much for my bag of green blobs! You have no idea how excited I am .... can't wait to play with them! Saddened golden rod ... now there's an idea ;)) K x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will look forward to seeing what wonders you conjure up with them! x

      Delete
  3. Wow Claire, you've brought back some memories. I used to help my Czech grandmother pick walnuts and she used them for dying. I still remember having brown stained hands. My British grandmother hated them because the squirrels would bury them all over her garden and new seedlings would shoot up everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also remember picking walnuts when I was a baby, but just for eating them Green walnuts are delicious! And my mother and grandmother used to be angry with me for my sained hands...

    ReplyDelete
  5. All so pretty ! I wish I could find walnuts here.
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh - walnuts...wonder where they grow around Sydney..

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's sounds calming and relaxing to shift with the seasons as you do x

    ReplyDelete
  8. they are raining down in my backyard right now and when one hits you in the noggin , ouch :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.