Sunday, June 09, 2013

fleeting blue


 A solar dye bath made from the last of my 'Queen of the Night' tulips, so deep and dark.


A scrap of alumed silk fabric and thread, soaked in the above for a day.

I know from experience that this beautiful blue is fugitive, and not light sensitive. When I tried this last year it faded prettily through shades of green and violet to just a suggestion of grey when left on a sunny windowsill in a matter of weeks. It doesn't make me like it any less though.

::  If you would like to spend a day learning about a very colourfast blue, there are spaces available on my Indigo Day on 20th July at my home workshop. We will be using a fresh leaf technique with the plants I have been hovering anxiously over since February, and also have a vat for some deeper blues. More info here.


16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blue Claire! I highly recommend Claire's workshops ... I attended one earlier this year and was thoroughly inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when fabric colours change with the light over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's funny how it is seen as a negative thing.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Claire. I'm experimenting with uneaten red cabbage seed sprouts today ... no idea if I'll get any kind of colour, let alone anything dye fast!

    See you on the 20.7 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful blues.
    I wish I could make one of your workshops Claire!
    I'll be moving back to Wales next month :(
    Also - the seeds you sent me are now growing outside and I am tempted to make a fresh leaf dye myself - is it too soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - go for it! You'll get fresh crops it you cut them now. Good luck with the move x

      Delete
  6. Such a gorgeous blue for sure !! Too bad these aren't lightfast ... Experimenting is part of the fun though & I totally understand this !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would love to attend your fresh leaf indigo workshop. Too bad i live so far away. If you want to do any workshops in Toronto some day I could help you organize it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Margie. That's an amazing thought. Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Stunning colour - why is it all the best ones are fugitive?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just makes it all more wonderful I think. And appreciative of it while it lasts.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.