Tuesday, October 30, 2012

mending



Much loved woollen socks, darned and re-darned. More darn than sock around the heels and soles.


Now new woollen mittens for my smallest daughter. 


I lined them with an outgrown cotton jersey top, and used some old cotton seam lining tape to string them through the arms of her coat. I think I may have just enough sock left to make myself some elbow patches too.

I've had a few days off work and have had a bit of time for mending, patching and darning. Slow quiet moments that have been seldom recently. I love these tasks and like to make repairs bright and visible. Around the house the same favourite scraps of fabric appear on clothes, quilts, and a particularly battered old armchair. 

:: I've been really enjoying reading a blog by Tom of Holland - lots of visible repairs, remaking, and some very fine darning and knitting. 

:: More mends on my mending board over on pinterest.

4 comments:

  1. love this. i reuse old fabric and things until they are pretty much gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. joyful making and mending, so satisfying. I have a little project of my own to do; a tear in a lovely old printed eiderdown, so thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a basket full of clothes to be mended too. These dark rainy days will help...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.