Thursday, July 12, 2012

log cabin blocks


I recently visited the Rag Market in Hebden Bridge, specifically to see Judith Mansfield who deals in rare textile books. In addition to some very useful dyeing books, she had this pamphlet, published in 1942. I love the title of the series - 'The Work of Our Hands' and the instructions for different recycling activities are very clear.


Log Cabin quilting is not something I'd ever tried before. I think that maybe the amount of ironing involved put me off (ironing is not my forte). I do however, have a large collection of very small scraps of fabric, and it seems to be a good end-of-use technique to try.


The scraps are all naturally dyed or over-dyed fabrics, a mixture of silks, wools, cottons and linens. I hand-pieced all the blocks. It's a different way of working for me, as I usually use papers.  


Summer term is drawing to a close, I'll have a bit more time for stitching soon.

:: I saw a beautiful log cabin block here the other day.

10 comments:

  1. I understand you perfectly! I love cabin blocks and other traditional patterns. And I also hate ironing. And taking care of the seams to the right or to the left... I've just made a triangle quilt and all this ironing was head breaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got quite addicted to them now - they grow quite quickly, then I can spend time (without the ironing) doing a bit of quilting on them. Result!

      Delete
  2. Those small blocks are so twee and delightful! Is the Rag Market on just once a month? I must drive across to visit it, is it sundays or have I imagined that?
    Gosh did you get caught in the floods they had by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just missed the floods, what a nightmare for the people who live there. Rag Market is a couple of times a year I think.

      Delete
  3. Your log cabin blocks are beautiful- lovely subtle colours together and a great use of fabric scraps (I've got plenty of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are just wonderful... - thanks for mentioning mine
    P.S. I don´t iron them more than other things = as seldom as possible...;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this: the colors, the beautiful fabrics, finding a purpose for those beautiful scraps....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Machteld.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.