Wednesday, June 13, 2012

needle weaving

I'm not a weaver (I've never had the opportunity to learn properly) but at the evening class I teach we're about to do some weaving inspired work, without looms.


I've been quite enjoying some needle weaving for teaching samples, using these threads. Time consuming but satisfying, and I love to darn, so it's an extension of that I suppose.

More weaving ...

:: Susan Johnson of Avalanche Looms makes the most beautiful rag rugs. The textures and colour she produces are wonderful and I love reading her blog.

:: This post by India Flint is very inspiring. 

:: A Weaver's Life, about Ethel Mairet, a British self-taught weaver and natural dyer who worked during the first half of the last century, is a book I have just revisited. A fascinating life. The pamphlet she wrote about plant dyes in 1916 is well worth a look too. Here is a link to a free online version.

One day, I'd really like to learn to weave properly I think.

9 comments:

  1. there was an interesting programme on BBC last year, presented by Monty Don, where they let several people who had never weaved before learn how to use a loom. The best one was then offered an apprenticeship - some of the stuff they produced after just a week's teaching was incredibly good. I'd love to learn up in the Scottish islands. mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing it. It was a great series. We need more craft action on TV!

      Delete
  2. The texture of those threads (and those u dyed on the other post) is beautiful, where did you get them? I too love darning, you have inspired me to do a little needle weaving of my own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The threads came from a local place called Texere Yarns. They do mail order. Lots of different weights of silk, cotton, linen yarns. It's a treasure trove.

      Delete
  3. thank you for the kind mention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weaving is tempting for me too. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too few hours in the day!

      Delete
  5. Well you could cheat abit and weave fabric strips al la Jude at Spirit Blog lol less stress about warping and wefting!

    http://spiritcloth.bigcartel.com/
    http://spiritcloth.typepad.com/spirit_cloth/newsletter-may-2012.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.