Thursday, March 22, 2012

patchwork and community


At work and in the evenings I've been busy with patchwork projects. In my day job I co-ordinate an arts and mental health project funded by Ecominds. It aims to make connections between well-being, creative activity, local green spaces, and sustainable practices. I've written a post on the project blog this week about mindful sewing. The conviviality communal hand-work brings is a great pleasure to be part of.

I'm hoping that the idea of craft as a socially engaged practice might be discussed this weekend at the HCA conference in London. The theme of the conference is 'Evolving Craft Communities'. I'll post about it next week.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting but short article in the Radio Times about Fine Cell Work and how they find communal stitching amongst prisoners is proving therapeutic too. They have a huge request list as well, possibly as much for the money they can make and then sue to help their families, buying gifts etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a great film about Fine Cell Work at the V&A quilts exhibition a couple of years ago. Therapeutic, contemplative and productive. There should be more opportunities for people in all parts of society to take part in this sort of activity.

      Delete
  2. I have belonged to quilters' guilds and small informal groups that just meet to stitch/knit/whatever and while I feel that both have their place, I personally have enjoyed the informal groups much more. Apparently meeting as a group on amonthly basis is very good for personal wellbeing and often gives more satisfaction than a pay increase (can't unfortunately remember whose research this was but came from the U.S.). I was surprised but pleased that was so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is lots of good research about Robyn. Thanks for sharing that one. The verbal evaluations I get from participants are amazing. Such simple activities can make such a huge impact in peoples lives.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.