Monday, March 05, 2012

paper-pieced fragment



I'm adding to my collection of old textiles when I can. They are such a useful resource for teaching - telling so many stories about technique, fabric, and the people who stitched them.

This is an unfinished sample of Victorian paper-piecing. The hexagons are tiny (less than 2cm), and most of the papers are still inside. The ones pictured below fell out when I unwrapped it from the tissue paper it arrived in. It looks like they are from correspondence, and some pieces are cross-written.


It's been pieced using silk and velvet, and is likely to be from the High Victorian period (1850 - 1875). There is an excellent chapter in this book that examines the paper-pieces left in an earlier coverlet, with some surprising observations.



I'm teaching two community-based patchwork courses soon and I'll be using this as a resource along with quilts and fragments I've shown here. More photos on my flickr page.

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic work!
    so so beautiful!
    good luck with your patchwork courses

    have a lovely week!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magdalena :)

      Delete
  2. I borrowed that book from our club and found it fascinating. Those hexies must be SO weeny but how lovely to have the papers still in them..........what better subtle social history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - such stories to tell.

      Delete
  3. I saw the exhibition (of the book) at the V&A. Love the paper left inside "hidden" words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went too - I found the whole exhibition really moving. It would be wonderful to know what the words reveal. But it's equally great that they remain hidden.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.