Monday, January 02, 2012

Matthew Harris exhibition

I've blogged before about the work of Matthew Harris, an artist I find very inspiring. The Beetroot Tree gallery in Derbyshire is currently showing an exhibition of his recent work including textiles, prints, and mixed media studies, called Discordant Imperfection, and I went to see it today. No photography allowed but here is a video clip made by the gallery.


From his Artist's Statement: 

'I am not interested in 'perfect' textiles but rather in a cloth that is made imperfect as a result of tears, patches, darns and frayed edges. Held together with a utilitarian stitch, those random and chaotic interruptions in the pattern and surface of the cloth provide the impetus for my work.'

This is a wonderful collection, exhibited in a great space. The exhibition ends 8th January, go if you can.

6 comments:

  1. I came across your blog via Claire at Paint Drops Keep falling, I really like your stitched pieces and the lovely colours you get from the natural dyeing. I love Matthew Harris's work, up until recently there was a piece in the Whitworth Art Gallery in Manchester but I don't think it is there any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gah! gutted the exhibition is so far away, i loooove his stuff too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh how I love to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew's work is so amazing. How lucky you are to see it in the flesh! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Connie - I'd love to see his work for real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing these works with us. It's necessary for people who live in places isolated from textile exhibitions, like me...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.