Sunday, November 06, 2011

recently



I spent a day teaching in this museum. The session responded to items in the collections, and we used some locally grown plant dyes. My now flowering indigo plant also got an outing.
.

Rolls of mordanted fabric waiting to be used.


 Locally grown walnut dye. A very enjoyable day.

:: Thanks for all the positive comments about my new workshops. I'm really looking forward to getting started.

:: I went to a talk by the artist Chen Hang Feng about his practice and new exhibition. He has been involved in 1 Square Mile, an international mapping project that explores ecological and cultural diversity through creative activity. I became aware of the local walnut tree I've been using for dyeing through a local ecologist who is involved. A great collaborative project.

:: My first issue of Hand/Eye arrived in the post, along with the most recent issue of Embroidery. Inspiring stuff, now to find the time to read them...

1 comment:

  1. I am seeing a lot of folk dye with walnut, I am intrigued! At our old home we had lots of walnut trees, but I never used them this way. Fascinating stuff, I wish you were closer I would love to attend one of your lectures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.