Friday, September 16, 2011

home grown blue

 

It's been a week of blue. At the community dye project I co-ordinate we harvested our indigo plants and had a really great day processing them. The story of our 'indigo in a season' is over here.


I was totally inspired and repeated the process at home using a Japanese Indigo plant grown from seed. The extraction method is based on a low-impact process that uses fresh leaves. Japanese Master Dyer Yoshioka Sachio pioneered this method. Information about the process available here, found via Wild Colours (where I also bought my indigo seeds). On silk and wool it makes turquoise shades.


There is such alchemy in producing these colours from a plant that at first glance promises little. It's been a good first year, and I'm looking forward to growing more.

12 comments:

  1. That's brilliant! So pleased you've had some good results x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to learn more about this method. i read somewhere that the fresh leaf process does give more of a turquoise, which i did find to be true. and i just love the color, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. great colors. I enjoyed reading about the process. thanks for sharing all this information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha, i missed that link, yes, thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love that color you achieved. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing all this information. Your work shops look fun; I wish I didn't live on the other side of the world. The turquoise is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaah this is só wonderful!!! Must try that too! (but that will have to wait till next year I'm afraid :-( .....)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wow! That is incredible!
    Growing your own plant and then processing it...very magical!

    Beautiful indigo colours!

    Congratulations!

    My best regards

    Magdalena

    ReplyDelete
  10. just happened upon your blog. The dyeing is beautiful. I really like your "green" piece and your madder stitching.
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete
  11. incredible to think that I had never before considered what indigo looked like in plant form! It looks like straggly old mint, strange. Wonderful results.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Beautiful!! I'm from Japan and I work for the publisher who published "Der Regenbogenfarbendieb" by Elmar Weinmayr. Thank you for linking to Dyer Yoshioka's web site. Last year, a documentary movie about Sachio Yoshioka was made. It's called "Murasaki (Purple): A man fascinated by color". You can check the trailor out here (English subtitles): http://www.art-true.com/purple/english.html or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdREgn1qbGI

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.