Friday, April 01, 2011

madder patchwork


A new square of paper-pieced patchwork is in the hoop waiting for some quilting. I've used some madder and pomegranate dyed silk. This book just arrived in the post, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the history of this wonderful red dye.


Experimenting with different coloured thread. I'm always surprised at the difference it makes. This version is so muted.


And this is so vivid in comparison. I keep changing my mind about which I prefer. 

So busy at the moment I'm meeting myself coming backwards. Not much thinking time available. So I'm keeping it simple - natural colours on old cloth, old thread, hand-stitch.  

Right - I'm off to wake up the indigo vat for the spring. Lots of teaching prep to do this weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Such lovely reds. I think I prefer the muted quilting, though both are effective. Look forward to seeing which you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about this plant: madder. I had to look it up in the dictionary, even in my own language! It seems very interesting, and the colour is wonderful indeed...

    I love this perpendicular stitches.

    A question: do you use paper-piecing for the triangles or for the squares? I find it always difficult to fold the seems in the corners of the triangles...

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting. I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments. I do use paper for the triangles. The silk is so fine it's quite easy to tuck in the corners. I have found using cotton more tricky. I'm glad you like the reds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beauty. I am an official Madder fan since getting my lovely parcel in the post. Thank you very much Claire. What a treat.
    Miriam
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it Miriam. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to have a go with an indigo dye... very jealous of your students having your expertise to hand for several weeks! I know what you mean about stitches though, it's incredible what a difference a few stitches in a different colour can make. Transformative even.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful little stitches!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.