Friday, February 04, 2011

green

It's blowing a gale outside this morning, but the weather is mild and I spotted some green shoots when out and about. I've been planning planting schemes for dye plants at work this week too.


Looking through my silk samples from last summer I stitched some little patches. These are dyed with nettle leaves and rhubarb leaves. We were experimenting with the rhubarb as a natural mordant. I liked the colour it produced too. The darker green is onion skins overdyed with indigo.


 I'm really looking forward to spring now.

5 comments:

  1. Roll on Spring! I've never thought about buying plants for use in dyeing, what a great idea - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How green can you get nettles? Need to talk to you about greens!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nettles are the the darker green, the rhubarb the creamier colour. Think they
    were in the dye bath for about an hour. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really lovely, Claire; such subtle colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful subtle colours you're getting Claire... think i might go raid my friends nettles and see what i can manage! might be an interesting comparison???
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.