Thursday, November 18, 2010

(crazy) patchwork


Following on from my recent post about a patchwork project I'm currently involved in. I've been looking again at a piece of crazy patchwork that I've had for a few years. It was given to me in a large bundle of fabric (mainly old sheets). Sadly the person donating the fabric had been concerned about moths and had put the coverlet (it isn't quilted) through a hot cycle in the washing machine...


I think this accounts for the shredding of some of the silk patches, and the pinkish hue of many of the lighter coloured fabrics (something red ran).


I've found this piece useful as a teaching sample at workshops. The backing fabric is falling off and you can see the construction. I absolutely love this. The tacking stitches are still there in parts and you can see the back of the decorative feather stitch from the top of the quilt.


Katherine May writes a great post about paper piecing, and about patchwork generally, on her blog circles.

Big thanks for all the lovely recent comments. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That quilt is stunning, and in my humble opinion is enhanced by its faded patches and tattered edges. I'd have it on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Love your blog and have just given you my Beautiful blogger award over at my site www.meadowstitch.blogspot.com

    Shelley x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.