Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Men of Cloth Exhibition

Matthew Harris

I managed to get across to Sale to see the Men of Cloth exhibition at Waterside Arts Centre (finishes 4th September). The highlight for me were the pieces by Matthew Harris. I particularly liked the inclusion of smaller pieces and works on paper. I'd seen his work before at a Knitting and Stitching Show and have followed his progress through various articles in the textile press. Selvedge issue 13 has an great article by Ian Wilson.

The work on show in this exhibition was shown alongside that of five other male artists, Michael Brennand- Wood, Gavin Fry, James Hunting, Colin Jenkins and Kazuhito Takadoi all who use textiles as the primary medium in their work.

Michael Brennand-Wood


I had a small assistant with me on the day who kept making a bee-line for the spiky installation wall by Michael Brennand-Wood thus rather limiting my ability to concentrate as much as I might have liked...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire, lucky you - I wont manage to get there. I love Matthew Harris's work, I saw some of it last year in the Taking Time exhibition. Nice to see your little assistant walking xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply to you here if you do.